Friday, April 2, 2010

Hollywood Hash: The Facade of the Film Industry


I've noticed a slightly disturbing trend in the film industry lately. There seems to be a huge recurrence of re-makes and movie adaptations, and a certain lack of "new" or original movies. Here's a look at the top 15 best-grossing movies of 2009:


1. Avatar

2. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

4. The Twilight Saga: New Moon

5. Up

6. The Hangover

7. Star Trek

8. The Blind Side

9. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel

10. Sherlock Holmes

11. Monsters vs. Aliens

12. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

13. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

14. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

15. 2012


Now, look at these popular films. 7 out of 15 are remakes: Transformers, Harry Potter, Twilight, Star Trek, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Sherlock Holmes, and X-Men Origins. Each of these films was adapted either from a book, comic, or TV show. None of them are original, in the sense that someone sat down and wrote a screenplay with completely new characters and concepts. What does that say about Hollywood?


Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE going to the movies. I've seen almost all of the films on the list, and I enjoyed almost every one (barring G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.....terrible, terrible movie. Almost as bad as The Haunting of Molly Hartley. And that's saying something).


What I'm wondering is this: why can't Hollywood come out with anything truly original anymore? (Granted, Avatar certainly is quite unique, but then again, it's James Cameron. Come on.) What's wrong with just making a good movie? Why are so many directors and producers being compelled to rewrite old material? I recently saw Repo Men in theater, and while it was a fairly good movie, I couldn't help flashing back to the original, Repo: The Genetic Opera. Even Tim Burton's latest film, Alice in Wonderland is a remake. I'm a little disappointed. Burton is indelibly etched in my mind as an original thinker. His movies, while a little freaky at times, are (for the most part) uniquely his.


So what's the point? Is there really such a draw for remade or re-written films? I grant that there is a certain appeal for older viewers (example: fans of the original Transformers TV series would probably be drawn to see the new movies). And obviously the movie version of a hugely popular book (Twilight, Harry Potter, anyone?) would attract the book's considerable fan base. On a side note: I can empathize with that. Many movie-book adaptations turn out to be absolute bombs (Eragon stands out in my mind) yet many can be done and done well, such as the Narnia and Lord of the Ring series.


Back on the main train of thought here: why the obsession with remakes? Is it simply to attract more moviegoers (and therefore more money)? If I had any say in the matter (which I don't), I would challenge filmmakers to create new movies. Original, untainted, unique works all their own. Look at Taken. Or Wall-E. Or Star Wars!!! Come on, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment